[ Home ] [ About US ] [ Cebu ] [ Visit Cebu ] [ Friendship ] [ Immigration ] [ Links ] [ Store ] 

  Please! Sign our Guestbook...

[ FAQs ] [ Contents ] [ Contact US! ] [ Search

 Dual Citizenship


[ Moving to the Philippines ]
[ How to Retire in the Philippines ]
[ Owning Property in the Philippines ]
[ Philippines/US Dual Citizenship ]
[ Immigration Fees ]
[ StreatWise Philippines Books ]


Are you interested in having Philippine and US citizenship?

The Philippine Consulate in Chicago wishes to inform the public that pursuant to Republic Act No. 9225, also known as the Citizenship Retention and Re-Acquisition Act of 2003, an individual, who was a natural-born Filipino citizen but lost his/her Philippine citizenship due to naturalization as a citizen of a foreign country, may now apply for the Administration of Oath of Allegiance to the Republic of the Philippines.  

Applications of individuals residing within the jurisdiction of the Philippine Consulate General in Chicago (Arkansas, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, South Dakota, Ohio  and Wisconsin) should be personally submitted to the Consulate General, Chicago. 

All interested individuals residing within the jurisdiction of this Consulate General may contact the Consular Section, Philippine Consulate General, 30 N. Michigan Ave. Suite 2100, Chicago IL 60602, at tel. no. (312) 332-6458 ext. 23 or fax no. (312) 332-3657 or e-mail at phchi@moon.igcom.net to secure an appointment for interview and administration of the oath of allegiance.

       Please print the form in a legal size bond paper (8 1/2" X 14").

Consulate General of the Philippines – Chicago http://www.chicagopcg.com/dual.html  

Can I acquire real property in the Philippines even if I am already a naturalized American citizen?

Any natural-born citizen who has lost his Philippine citizenship may acquire a private land up to a maximum area of five thousand (5,000) square meters in the case of urban land or three (3) hectares in the case of rural land to be used by him/her for business or other purposes. In the case of married couples, one of them may avail of the privilege herein granted (please see Republic. Act 8179, Sec 10).   (click here for more information  >>)

I would like to donate certain items (books, computers, medicine, etc.) to a beneficiary in the Philippines. Can said items be extended duty-free entry status and be brought into the Philippines without paying customs duties and taxes?

Food, medicine and other relief goods, books and educational materials, essential machineries/equipment, consumer goods and other articles may be granted duty-free entry by the Department of Finance and the Bureau of Customs, upon the recommendation of the Department of Social Work and Development or other concerned agency. Prospective donors can seek assistance from the

          Commission on Filipinos Overseas
          1345 Citigold Center, Quirino Avenue
          cor. South Superhighway, Manila
          Tel # (632) 562.3852
          Fax # 011.632.561.8332
          E-mail cfodfa@info.com.ph  

(click here for guidelines and procedure  >>)

New Rules on Dual Citizenship

PHILIPPINE IMMIGRATIONS: New rules on dual citizenship: Filipinos with dual citizenships can now enter end leave the country, trouble free, as long as they present both their Philippine and foreign passports to immigration officers at the time of arrival or departure, according to immigrations Commissioner Alipio Fernandez Jr.

This developed after bureau of immigration came out with new rules for arriving and departing passengers who availed themselves of the dual citizenship law passed by Congress last year.

Under the law, Filipinos who became, or are intending to become naturalized citizens of other countries, have not lost their Philippine citizenship. According to Mr. Fernandez, a Filipino who presents a foreign passport shall only be given an indefinite stay in the country if he or she can show a valid Philippine passport or a certificate from the BI as proof of dual citizenship.

The immigration officer then makes the appropriate stamp on both the foreign and Philippine passports of the passenger. Immigration executive director Roy Almoro said the new rules were issued in the wake of reports of misunderstanding between immigration officers and passengers with dual citizenship.

Airport immigration head of supervisors Ferdinand Sampol said dual citizens who entered the country using foreign passports will be cleared for departure provided they present a valid Philippine passport and bureau of immigration certificate.

The passenger is no longer required to present a certificate, exit permit or proof of payment of immigration fees.

What It Is

The Supreme Court of the United States has stated that dual nationality is a “status long recognized in the law” and that “a person may have and exercise rights of nationality in two countries and be subject to the responsibilities of both. The mere fact that he asserts the rights of one citizenship does not without more mean that he renounces the other”, Kawakita v. U.S., 343 U.S. 717 (1952).

How Acquired

Dual nationality results from the fact that there is no uniform rule of international law relating to the acquisition of nationality. Each country has its own laws on the subject, and its nationality is conferred upon individuals on the basis of its own independent domestic policy. Individuals may have dual nationality not by choice but by automatic operation of these different and sometimes conflicting laws. The laws of the United States, no less than those of other countries contribute to the situation because they provide for acquisition of U.S. citizenship by birth in the United States and also by birth abroad to an American regardless of the other nationalities which a person might acquire at birth. For example, a child born abroad to U.S. citizens may acquire at birth not only American citizenship but also the nationality of the country in which it was born. Similarly, a child born in the United States to foreigners may acquire at birth both U.S. citizenship and a foreign nationality.

The laws of some countries provide for automatic acquisition of citizenship after birth. For example, a U.S. citizen may acquire another nationality merely by marrying a citizen of certain foreign countries. In addition, some countries do not recognize naturalization in a foreign state as grounds of loss of citizenship. A person from one of those countries who is naturalized in the United States keeps the nationality of the country of origin despite the fact that one of the requirements for naturalization in this country is a renunciation of other nationalities.

The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality does not affect U.S. citizenship; however, the acquisition of a foreign nationality upon one’s own application may cause loss of U.S. citizenship under Section 349(a)(1) of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1481). In order for loss of nationality to occur under Section 349(a)(1), it must be established that the naturalization was obtained with the intention of relinquishing U.S. citizenship. Such an intention may be shown by a person’s statements or conduct. If the U.S. Government is unable to prove that the person had such an intention when applying for and obtaining the foreign citizenship, the person will have both nationalities.

Current Law and Policy

United States law does not contain any provisions requiring U.S. citizens who are born with dual nationality or who acquire a second nationality at an early age to choose one nationality or the other when they become adults, Mandeli v. Acheson, 344 U.S. 133 (1952). The current nationality laws of the United States do not specifically refer to dual nationality.

While recognizing the existence of dual nationality and permitting Americans to have other nationalities, the U.S. Government does not endorse dual nationality as a matter of policy because of the problems which it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual-national U.S. citizens often place them in situations where their obligations to one country are in conflict with the laws of the other. In addition, their dual nationality may hamper efforts to provide diplomatic and consular protection to them when they are abroad. In general it is considered that while a dual national is in the other country of which the person is a citizen, that country has a predominant claim on the person.

Allegiance to Which Country

Like Americans who possess only U.S. citizenship, dual national U.S. citizens owe allegiance to this country and are obliged to obey its laws and regulations. Such persons usually have certain obligations to the foreign country as well. Although failure to fulfill such obligations may have no adverse effect on the person while in the United States because the foreign country would have few means to force compliance under those circumstances, the person might be forced to comply with those obligations or pay a penalty if the person goes to the foreign country. In cases where a dual national encounters difficulty in a foreign country of which the person is a citizen, the ability of U.S. Foreign Service posts to provide assistance may be quite limited since the foreign countries may not recognize the dual national’s claim to U.S. citizenship.

Which Passport to Use

Section 215 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (8 U.S.C. 1185) requires U.S. citizens to use U.S. passports when entering or leaving the United States unless one of the exceptions listed in Section 53.2 of Title 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations applies. Dual nationals may be required by the other country of which they are citizens to enter and leave that country using its passport, but do not endanger their U.S. citizenship by complying with such a requirement.

Dual Recognition

DUAL RECOGNITION A child with a U.S. passport and one Filipino parent can obtain a letter from the Bureau of Immigration recognizing the child as a Filipino citizen. The application requirements are listed below.

1. Letter request (notarized)
2. Birth certificate of child (NSO)
3. Birth certificate of petitioner (Filipino parent) (NSO)
4. Marriage contract of parents (NSO)
5. Child's passport
6. Parents passports (Picture and data page only)
7. Affidavit of citizenship executed by parents (2) (notarized)
8. Proof of Filipino citizenship of petitioner at time of the birth of the child.

For Item 8 BI will accept the parent’s affidavit and PI passport.

For each item, you need the original and 5 copies. They will inspect and return the passports and keep the copies. In all other cases they will keep the originals and the copies. For the notarized items, the notarized original and copies of that are acceptable.

Notary statements must include how the person identified himself/herself. For example, a U.S. passport and the Filipino Parent’s Community Tax Certificate.

Cost of application: P1,510.

MORE ON DUAL RECOGNITION Last month we published an article regarding the fact that a child with a U.S. passport and one Filipino parent can obtain a letter from the Bureau of Immigration (BI) recognizing the child as a Filipino citizen. The article listed the necessary documents to be provided to start the process. A payment of P1,510 was made when the package was submitted.

MORE ON DUAL RECOGNITION This supplements the information in the October and November 2001 newsletters. About 3 months after the hearing, you will be summoned again to the Bureau of Immigration (BI) in Manila. The child, regardless of age, must accompany the Philippine parent for the taking of a thumbprint. Document fees of P8, 520 are assessed, bringing the total expenditure to P10, 040. You will be given an appointment about a week later to pickup the final documents recognizing the child as a Philippine citizen.


  Please! Sign our Guestbook...

[ FAQs ] [ Contents ] [ Contact US! ] [ Search

[ Home ] [ About US ] [ Cebu ] [ Visit Cebu ] [ Friendship ] [ Immigration ] [ Links ] [ Store ]

Cebu on Wheels Home Page Disclaimers    

Site last Updated: 13 April, 2007